Monday, December 22, 2008

Ma famille francaise

It's finals week. All four of my roommates have disappeared to the depths of the library, and here I am - clad in sweatpants, notes in a haphazard stack on my desk, books yet to be cracked open - blogging.

Every day, it starts to feel more and more real. Last Friday we had our pre-departure orientation with EAP (Education Abroad Program) Alums, and this week we finally got our housing assignments. At first I was really disappointed, because instead of living in the centre-ville (downtown Bordeaux), I'm living in the suburb Talence, half an hour from most of my friends. Bordeaux is a commuter school, so the actual university is about a 30 minute tram ride away from the city. I'm somewhere between the two.

A Google Maps stalker search showed this to me –
That's where I'll be living for the next 6 months. Je peux pas le croire. Anyway, I was none too thrilled about being so far from everyone else. On top of that, there was only one name listed - Mme Barry, whereas others' host families were listed as "La famille xxx," or "M et Mme xxx." Thinking I was going to be stuck with a lonely old French spinster, undoubtedly more bitter than the American variety, I begrudgingly emailed my host mom to introduce myself. Mostly though, I just wanted to find out if I had to bring my own sheets.

It turns out the email address they gave me actually belongs to Mme Barry's daughter, and her reply yesterday made my attitude do a 180. Turns out Mme Barry has three daughters - Lisa (the one I emailed), 21, Anna, 20, and Sarah, 22. Lisa and Anna are living at home next semester. On top of that, they have a dog (Bill), two cats, and THREE CHICKENS. I'm sure you've seen my outburst on that topic on facebook, but seriously, THREE CHICKENS?! How fucking awesome is that? They live in a big house with a spacious backyard. Mme Barry is German and speaks English fluently, and Anna is studying English at the University of Bordeaux, where I'll be going. It's going to be so tempting to speak English to them, but I'm going to do my best to resist temptation. Also, I had heard that it was really difficult to make French friends, but they'll have to be friends with me. MUAHAHA. In all seriousness though, Lisa has been so friendly - she added me on facebook and her emails were so nice. I'm really looking forward to meeting them.

Now I just have to calm down and study.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

tu as de la chance!!

Anonymous said...

ooh lisa, have a wonderful time!

And i know it's a bit creepy that i always find your blog, but i'm addicted to blogs and coffee. i think i need to be, since i have no other vices.

oh yes, so rock that country. it's an amazing one. i want to go. well, i want to go everywhere. (my literature professor says i have trouble organizing my thoughts. no idea what he's talking about).

enjoy the chickens and nouveaux amies! (i think that's right. i'm learning spanish, get it confused with italian and now can speak NO languages)

-sonia